Saturday, May 07, 2011

Advice?


Remember the doily I made for a wedding present? Well, another one of my friends, Elisa, is getting married now and I am searching for the perfect pattern to make for her and her husband. I want something intricate that will be fairly large when made in smaller thread (40ish) but not too frilly or girly. It also needs to be gorgeous and in Elisa's style. (I realize these last two are highly subjective!) I am kind of thinking of something square or rectangular or diamond-shaped, rather than round. Finally, it needs to be a free pattern or from a book I already have. I've got no time to wait for anything to ship, as the wedding is June 4th and I am not Superwoman. (This, sadly, rules out anything by Jan Stawasz, even though his doilies are almost exactly what I'm looking for.)
I'm afraid I'm setting way too high of a standard for this pattern and that I'll never find one in time. So I thought I would ask you all for advice. Suggest anything, even if you don't think it matches every one of the criteria. It may lead me to something perfect that on my own I would have ruled out without looking at it.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I have almost the same tatting pattern collection of books as you do :) How about the "Ellipse" doily in the Elegant Tatting Patterns book? I have often looked at that pattern and thought it was simple yet unique,and I love the oval shape.

You are courageous to make a doily for a June wedding! I would need months :)

Stephanie Grace said...

What about "Masquerade" from Tatting With Visual Patterns? That way you would have control over the size and it would meet the non-circle criteria? *blushes* Just a thought...

I've been wanting to try "Kaleidoscope" from Elegant Tatting Patterns since I first saw it... I love the look of it, but I don't think it'd be as big as you'd want it to be....

If all else fails there's always bellaonline: http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/530.asp

-Stephanie Grace